On April 7, 2010 the City of Ithaca became the first community in New York State to adopt outdoor smoking regulations. The legislation became effective on August 1, 2010, and prohibits smoking in:
- Parts of the Commons, Stewart Park and Cass Park
- In all small city parks, recreation walkways, and natural areas
- Outdoor dining tables and mobile vending sites located on city property
- Outdoor special events
- Playgrounds that are open to use by the public and within the fenced area of the Alex Haley Pool and Melvyn Bell Memorial basketball court.
- Within 25 feet of bus shelters, playgrounds, licensed child care facilities, entrances to schools and city buildings, located on public property
- Elevators in city parking garages
These changes ensure that everyone, indoors or out, has the right to breathe clean fresh air.
Learn more about the Outdoor Smoking Regulations that Svante has championed for the past two years.
Read the ordinance here